Friday, March 23, 2007

Goodbye Toronto


It was now my turn to bid goodbye to Toronto on March 23, 2007. one & half years of stay finally coming to an end when I decided to go back for personal reasons. I liked the city very much and I should stay the stay has been very memorable and special to me. Some of the things which I liked in Toronto & Canada in general are :

1) Excellent planning & infrastructure.. The city is planned in grid form and we can see roads criss-crossing from North-south and east-west of the city.. The buses (TTC-Viva) ply on the complete length on these big streets. In addition to that, the metro(subway) train services on critical artery of the city provide the much needed mass rapid transport system. One can reach any corner of the city easily without a car !
2) Clean drinking water and electricity available throughout.. I didn't see a single minute of power-cut any time. Also, easy availability of hot-cold water everytime.
3) Experience the vagaries of nature : One can experience all the weather conditions - spring, summer, fall, winter.. The winters especially the snow is a great experience. I really enjoyed it a lot.. The fall colors provide a great sight throughout the country side.
4) Great shopping - easy access to shopping malls and internet shopping makes it easier to order any product of choice
5) Easy access to internet - High speed internet available easily which makes everyone connect to the web, download anything of our choice easily.
6) Large Indian/sub-continent community - Being multi-ethnic city we do not feel out of place.. We have numerous south-indian restaurants, movie theatres, temples etc..
7) Great road network - I loved driving on those highways.. I know it is quite monotonous and boring but the great road network cuts down the travel time and we are able to travel almost of 100 of KMs in quick time.. Since, I loved driving long distances it was pretty nice experience however it lacks the challenge and the varied landscape as in India..

At the end of it, we still would miss the social environment and the great tropical weather of India.. I'm heading home now after close to 1.5 years being away from my family..

No comments: